Is product categorization taking too much of your time?
Vesta can help with taxonomy design and automating the classification of your products into categories
Cut hours of manual work
Through automating product classification for eCommerce
Create easy site navigation
For shoppers to browse and find products in an intuitive way
Improve on-site search performance
Have the right products show as categories names are searched on you site
What is Product Data Classification?
Product data classification is the sorting of products into groups based on a hierarchical structure. At the top of the hierarchy, there are broader groupings, like product families, such as furniture, or homewares. Each level down becomes more narrow and defined.
Organizing the product catalog on an eCommerce website this way makes it easier for shoppers to navigate to specific products and browse in product areas they are interested in. The main levels are category, brand, product, and variant.
To learn more about each of these classification levels take a look at this easy infographic
Common Challenges with Product Data Classification
Product data classification can be very time consuming, accounting for up to 25% of product data maintenance. Additionally, vendor-supplied data is often either unclassified or classified into categories that do not match your own categories. With a large product range, this leads to hours of work in spreadsheets to re-organize products into the correct groupings.
Vesta can eliminate this workload by automating the product classification processes as detailed below.
Vesta's Product Classification Services
Create a classification structure for your business
- Vesta can provide full support and guidance in building a classification that will work with your chosen eCommerce platform for your online store.
Categorize products into the agreed classification structure
- Your products can be automatically assigned to the classifications of categories, subcategories, and brands through keyword technology.
- Once set up, new products added to your range in the future will also be automatically assigned to the correct categories.
Map vendor-supplied categorization to your structure
- Vesta can set up mapping to automatically re-classify vendor-supplied products into your own classification structure.
Create top-level products for products with option sets
- If supplier data has been provided at SKU level only, Vesta's Variant Builder can automatically create top-level products, so related SKU's can be grouped onto one product detail page with option selections eg. color or size.
- Vesta's Variant Builder can also create sort orders for options like size, so the options display in a logical order on the selection drop-down (eg, S, M, L, XL, XXL)
"Vesta helped us prepare our product catalog for our new PIM system. This meant pulling information from various sources, getting it into a standard format, and organizing it into a strong architecture of categories and variants.
We had no idea where to start, but Vesta guided us through the whole process and made it easy. With Vesta, everything has run so smoothly."
Working with Vesta includes full guided support
Before getting started with Vesta, we will consult with you to determine the best solutions for your specific business challenges and goals.
During the implementation phase, a product data consultant will work with you through workshops to define the classification structure best suited to your business and industry to optimize your online store. Nothing technical is required, provide us with your knowledge of your products in plain English, and our data experts can do the rest.